On May 28th, I had a chance, along with Leandro Gonzalez, CEO of Trick Game Studio, to join top executives in Austin at the Austin Technology Council’s CEO Summit. The day long, invitation only event connects Austin leaders to discuss a vision for the local technology industry, to share best practices, and to connect with colleagues facing the same challenges and opportunities in growing their companies. Best of all: for the first time, the video game industry was recognized for it’s ongoing contributions!
Key lessons learned include:
1. The Collaborative Economy: “In the age of the collaborative economy, companies will need to learn how to adapt through creating membership models and diversifying their physical goods into services.” – Jeremiah Owyang, CEO, Crowd Companies
2. Lessons in Leadership: “Entrepreneurs need to be bold, have courage and take risks. They also need to understand that there is nothing more important than the team that they build.” – Kevin Plank, CEO, Under Armour
3. Austin’s Capital Landscape: Second stage funding is beginning to come into Austin from all over the country. The city is in a stage of fast growth and Austin should pursue those prospects.
4. Attracting Tech Talent: Austin companies are not paying enough to compete with the companies moving in from out of market. Austin needs to provide better opportunities to attract entry level candidates.
5. Austin’s New Opportunities: “Medtech is on the rise, and Austin is the place to be for innovation in the industry. With the advent of 3D printing and other technologies, medical devices are cool again.” – Kerry Rupp, COO, Medical Innovation Labs