The Game Developers Conference returned to San Francisco in early March and I was there. As the chair of the Austin chapter, I was pleased to have a chance to represent Austin and our community at the world’s largest annual gathering of video game developers. IGDA was also out in force, sponsoring numerous panels, social events, student attendees and a booth. Some of the IGDA events I attended include:
- Volunteer banquet where more than 100 chapter leaders, dedicated volunteers and student participants were feted for their support of the organization.
- IGDA networking event at the San Francisco Children’s Museum. One of the biggest and eagerly anticipated events of GDC, the IGDA networking event brought together hundreds of attendees in a terrific space adjacent to the Moscone Center for an evening of music, food and great conversation. We also celebrated Kate Edwards (IGDA’s exec director) 50th birthday!
- IGDA chapter meetings. Leaders from around the world met with the executive leadership of the IGDA and discussed how to make the organization better and more responsive/valuable to its membership. I was stunned by the extraordinary breadth of the IGDA, meeting leaders from Europe and Asia.
- IGDA board meeting. The official annual meeting of the IGDA board of directors surfaced some interesting and eye-opening information about the organization. Slides are here: IGDA Annual Meeting 2015 (PDF).
- Overall, my first GDC was terrific and I was honored to represent Austin!
You can read more here about IGDA and the GDC: https://www.igda.org/news